Dendrobium is a fairly new extract being used in various supplements to help lifters all over the globe get a sick pre-workout buzz and help aid in fat loss.
But what is dendrobium? Where did it come from? What is it used for? Was this Ronnie Coleman’s secret weapon for winning Mr Olympia for all those years? Has a dendrobium plant been named after Margaret Thatcher?
Let’s find the answers to some of these life-changing questions.
1. Dendrobium was originally used as medicine
Dendrobium was first used in traditional Chinese medicine (and still is today) several centuries ago to help cure fevers, diabetes, thirst, infections and even cancer.
2. It’s actually a plant
Dendrobium is a flower. It’s classed within the orchid species and is part of the genus family. Today there are more than 1,200 unique species that have been identified.
3. You can’t find them in the wild west
Genus plants generally spring up in Asia and Australasia. They are most commonly found in:
- New Guinea
- Several Pacific islands
New Guinea is home to more than 500 species and scientists are constantly finding new species. New Guinea is believed to have the highest concentration of dendrobium plants in the world.
I wonder if they lift over there?
4. Dendrobium has been used in space by NASA
You may not know this but dendrobium orchids are used inside NASA space shuttles to remove toxins from the cabins. Dendrobium is proven to filter out xylene and toluene from the atmosphere while taking in carbon dioxide and replacing it with oxygen.
5. You find it in unusual places
Dendrobium is usually found inside the tops of trees or large bushes. The name dendrobium is actually a Greek term for life in a tree.
6. A species of dendrobium plant has indeed been named after a former British Prime Minister
A hybrid orchid was name ‘Dendrobium Margaret Thatcher’ after she visited the Singapore Botanic Gardens. The plant is said to be full of spikes and twisted in appearance, now the name makes total sense.
7. The extract is used by athletes
Extracts of dendrobium are being combined with several pre-workout supplements allowing lifters to train at higher intensity and lift heavier weights. It’s also being combined with several fat loss products to help people who are looking to shed a few extra pounds.
8. Sometimes used as a pain killer
One of the properties within dendrobium is dedrobine, this has been proven to have positive pharmacologic effects that include reducing pain and inflammation in the body.
Supplements With Dendrobium
We still haven’t seen a whole lot of supplements use Dendrobium extracts yet, but if you try any of these you probably won’t want to go back to your caffeine-based supplement!
- Primaforce Dendrobium $14.99 – Doesn’t get any easier than this! Add one of these 25mg caps to your current pre-workout stack, or take it all by itself.
- MAN Sports Game Day $38.99 – This pre-workout supplement uses Dendrobium Alkaloids instead of extracts, which provides a much more pronounced effect.
- Nutrex Lipo-6 Unlimited $24.99 – Trusted fat burner, with the inclusion of dendrobium.
- BPI B4 $27.99
- PIN Prodigy $34.99
- Lecheek Nutrition Ampilean $29.99
- Pro Supps Hyde V2 $29.99 – This is one of our best selling pre-workouts!
Have you tried dendrobium yet? Let us know whether you love it or hate it! Leave a comment below.